Soft, tender pancakes with crispy edges, full of luscious blueberries feature just the right amount of sweetness and melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness. They are the stuff of Sunday morning dreams!
It’s beginning to look a lot like winter with confectioners sugar showering down on these delicious, quick, and easy, homemade Ultimate Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes. Perfect for a Christmas morning or special occasion breakfast or brunch. And, if you live in the South like me, you can even pretend the sugar is snow!
I took this fun picture of homemade blueberry pancakes at a food photography workshop I attended with my sister in Minneapolis last month. We flew up there and braved the cold to participate in this excellent class taught by Lindsey from the Pinch of Yum blog.
I had purchased a new camera shortly before the class, and it was great to finally learn how to use it. In the past, all of my photos were taken with my iPhone, so it has been quite a learning curve for me.
But, back to these luscious and Ultimate Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes! I’ve been making these pancakes for years but never actually had an actual recipe.
It was always just a little of this and a little of that. But as I was taking pictures of the pancakes at the workshop, I knew I had to sit down and figure write everything down. Not only so, I could use the photos, but so I could share this easy pancakes recipe with you!
More breakfast recipes:
If you like breakfast casseroles like this, you might also like these recipes: Oven-Baked Caramel French Toast Casserole, Southern Cheese Grits Casserole, Eggs Benedict Casserole, and Cheesy Prosciutto Breakfast Casserole.
Need more ideas, click here to access all of my breakfast recipes.
More blueberry recipes:
- Blueberry Delight – An Easy Blueberry Dessert
- Easy Buttermilk Banana Bread with Blueberries
- Easy Mini Blueberry Hand Pies
- Ultimate Blueberry Bread with Lemon Glaze
The ingredients for Ultimate Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes include you guessed it, buttermilk and blueberries! You will also need all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, eggs, and vegetable oil.
How to make:
To begin, gather the ingredients and add the buttermilk, beaten egg, and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-size bowl using a whisk.
Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth. If you like your pancake batter a little thinner, feel free to add a little more buttermilk. Do not over-mix.
Heat a large skillet or griddle pan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp vegetable oil.
When the oil is hot, pour about 1/4 of a cup of the batter into the pan for each pancake. Top each pancake with 4-5 blueberries. (I prefer adding the blueberries to the pancakes as they cook instead of adding them to the batter.)
Cook the pancakes for about 2 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a pancake turner and cook for another minute or two or until browned on the other side.
Serve immediately with confectioners sugar or syrup.
If you are feeding a crowd, place a heat-safe plate in a 250-degree oven to keep the first pancakes hot while you make the rest of them.
My family likes thin pancakes with crispy edges. This recipe as written produces thicker pancakes. If you like thin as we do, add another tablespoon or so more milk to your batter. To get the crispy edges, you will need to add another two to three tablespoons of oil.
If you are a fan of blueberries, consider topping these pancakes with blueberry syrup. To make it, combine four cups of fresh or frozen blueberries with 3/4 cup of sugar and three tablespoons of flour in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes. Remove it from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
You can reheat any leftover pancakes in the microwave.
★ If you make this dish, please leave a comment and give this recipe a star rating. I would love to know how you liked it!
Thank you so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones!
Ultimate Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 Tbsp vegetable or peanut oil divided
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Combine the buttermilk, beaten egg and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-size bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth. If you like your pancake batter a little thinner, feel free to add a little more buttermilk. Do not over-mix.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle pan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, pour about 1/4 of a cup of the batter into the pan for each pancake. Top each pancake with 4-5 blueberries. Cook the pancakes for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a pancake turner and cook for another minute or two, or until browned on the other side. Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary and repeat with the rest of the pancakes.
- Serve immediately with confectioners sugar or syrup.