Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya Recipe
Easy Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya is the ultimate Mardi Gras food, and a delicious entrée found all along the gulf coast but especially in Southern Louisiana.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 6) cut into 1-inch pieces.
- 1 lb Andouille sausage sliced
- 1 large white or Vidalia onion chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 Tbsp Creole seasoning I used Zatarain's Big and Zesty which is spicy*
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 29 oz canned diced fire-roasted tomatoes with juice, 2-14.5 oz cans
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the chicken and sausage and cook until browned on all sides, which will take about 10 minutes. Be sure to stir frequently to prevent the meat from sticking. When the meat is done, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
Add onion, bell pepper, and celery to the pan drippings and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, Creole seasoning, thyme and tarragon and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
Add the uncooked rice and stir until well combined. Cook for 3 minutes.
Add the chicken and sausage back in and then add the chicken broth and tomatoes. Stir well to combine and bring to a boil. Stir again, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook covered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- This recipe as written is spicy! If you prefer less spicy food, decrease the amount of creole seasoning.
- If you would like to include shrimp in your Jambalaya, about 5 minutes before the Jambalaya is done, add a dozen uncooked, peeled and deveined large or extra-large shrimp to the Jambalaya mixture and combine.
- Leftovers, if you have them are also delicious the next day!
Calories: 628kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 187mg | Sodium: 1372mg | Potassium: 273mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1750IU | Vitamin C: 115.5mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 4.3mg