Easy Leftover Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe
In addition to the turkey, Easy Leftover Turkey Tetrazzini is full of earthy mushrooms, a thick creamy, cheesy sauce, and English peas if you wish. In classic turkey tetrazzini, peas are always included, but we leave them out.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 Tbsp butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup onion chopped, about 1 medium size onion
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 12 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 oz cream cheese spreadable, garlic and herb
- 1-1/3 cups half and half
- 2 cups cooked turkey chopped, may substitute chopped chicken
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen English peas optional
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 12 oz dry spaghetti
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add butter, onions, and celery to a large pan over medium heat. Cook, 5-7 minutes or until the onion and celery are soft. Stir occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
Add the mushrooms and cook an additional 5-6 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 more minute.
Add wine, chicken stock, and cream. Cook until the sauce has thickened, let it come to a boil and cook 1 minute more.
Add cream cheese and stir until it has melted. Taste the sauce and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
While the sauce is cooking, bring water to boil in a large pot and cook spaghetti according to the directions on the package to al dente. Drain.
Combine, sauce, turkey, spaghetti, peas if using, and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
Pour into a 9x13 baking dish which has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Can also divide the mixture up into 2 or 3 smaller baking dishes if preferred.
Sprinkle the remaining cup mozzarella cheese evenly over the top, and add the parmesan cheese. Bake for 35 minutes uncovered or until the cheese has melted and it is bubbling.
Sharon's expert tips:
- This casserole freezes beautifully. To make ahead, before baking, simply cover tightly and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake as directed.
- Classic turkey tetrazzini contains English peas. I didn't include them, but please add them in if you like them.
- Cooked chicken makes a great substitute for turkey.
Calories: 564kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 126mg | Sodium: 305mg | Potassium: 160mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 950IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 620mg | Iron: 2.9mg