Easy Parmesan Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe
This recipe for Easy Parmesan Potatoes Au Gratin is irresistibly delicious and the perfect special occasion side dish. With thinly sliced, tender Russet potatoes, nestled in a thick and decadent cream sauce and nutty parmesan cheese, this thoroughly indulgent side dish just might edge out your entrée and become the star of the show!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 Russet potatoes large, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1/8 inch thick)
- 2-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1-1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Add the cream, salt, and pepper to a large 4-cup measuring cup. Mix well.
Spray a large gratin baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place approximately 1/4 of the potato slices in a single layer on the bottom of the dish.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese evenly over the potatoes. Pour 1/2 cup of the heavy cream mixture over the top. Repeat three more times to form four layers, ending with the rest of the cream, then cheese. Press the potatoes down gently with your hand to ensure they are completely covered with cream.
Bake, uncovered for about 60 minutes, or until the top of the potatoes is golden brown, and the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve warm.
- A mandoline (not to be confused with mandolin, a musical instrument) will make short work of slicing the potatoes. I have an OXO Good Grips Adjustable Handheld Mandoline Slicer which I love and it's very easy to use. It is small, easily stored and was under $15. If you don't have a mandoline, use a sharp knife and slice the potatoes as thin and as uniformly as possible. If your potatoes are thicker, they will take longer to cook, if they are not a uniform thickness, they will not cook evenly.
- A gratin dish is most often an oval stoneware, shallow baking dish, usually only a few inches deep. If you don't have one, a regular oven-proof casserole dish or a pie plate will work just fine!
Calories: 493kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 727mg | Potassium: 407mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1450IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 570mg | Iron: 0.7mg