Hello, I’m Sharon Rigsby, the cook, blogger, recipe developer, photographer, and videographer for Grits and Pinecones®, a southern cooking and hospitality blog.
I live in Tallahassee, Florida, with my husband Terry, and I’m all about creating delicious recipes with a Southern flair that are quick, easy, and PERFECT to share with family and friends. Nothing fussy or complicated, just “go-to” dishes with everyday ingredients for the home cook.
As the oldest of six, I started cooking at a very young age and have over 50 years of experience in the kitchen. I like nothing better than developing and reimagining recipes for my family and friends, and I love to share my culinary creations with others.
Several years ago, I started this blog to share some of my favorite recipes. Now, with over 500 recipes, I’m also sharing expert tips and tricks that I have learned along the way.
What you will find here:
If you are looking for southern recipes, you are in the right place. My southern recipes run the gamut from main dishes, desserts, appetizers to side dishes and are precisely what you need when you’re craving comfort food from the South.
From some of the South’s most iconic dishes like Southern Fried Chicken, Old Fashioned Pecan Pralines, Homemade Fresh Peach Ice Cream, Easy Southern Cheddar Biscuits, Southern Style Baked Mac and Cheese, Southern Sweet Potato Pie, and Southern Style Cornbread to one of my most popular posts, Southern Potato Salad, these dishes are guaranteed to please even your “pickiest eaters.”
All of my recipes are quick and easy and made with everyday ingredients. But, if you are looking for something special, check out my recipe index for appetizers, bread, breakfast, condiments, chicken, game-day, and desserts.
Additional categories include lunch, main dish, seafood, side dishes, snacks, soup, and salads. I also have classic recipes for holidays and special occasions, including Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Halloween, 4th of July, Mardi Gras, and more.
Besides scrumptious well-tested recipes, you will also find:
- Expert cooking tips and tricks,
- Ideas for substitutions to help you avoid an extra trip to the grocery store,
- Step-by-step tutorials and videos, and
- Step-by-step process photos with each recipe.
Here’s a small sample of what my readers are saying:
- Marie says: “This is an excellent recipe. I love the rub, glaze, and peach salsa. Very clear steps, and it has turned out great twice. I just ate it for supper tonight. Thank you for teaching me how to grill pork tenderloin.” Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Peach Salsa
- Susan says: “This recipe is AWESOME! I’ve never cooked fresh-picked white acre peas before and was a little nervous. I’ve followed several of your recipes before and have had great success, so I figured I’d give this one a try. SUCCESS! You make this recipe so easy and so good. Thanks for the tips too. I’m now blanching the rest of the white acre peas so I can freeze them and have this awesome dish again and again. Much appreciation to you!” Easy Peasy Southern Field Peas
- Cindy says: “I made this cake last night. I brought it to work today; OMG, this cake is awesome! I have gotten so many compliments from my co-workers on this one!!! Sharon, Thanks so much for the yummy, yummy cake recipe. I will be making this one again real soon.” Southern Pecan Praline Cake
- Martha says: “I recently made the quick and easy creamy shrimp creole. Loved it! So did my guests. Can’t wait to make it again when family visits in July.” The Ultimate Quick and Easy Shrimp Creole Recipe
- Jim says: “This pork tenderloin w mustard sauce was AMAZING! We modified the cooking instructions to do it on the grill, and both the marinade and mustard sauce were incredible. Thanks for your blog- we are never disappointed when we try one of your recipes….” Oven Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Spicy Mustard Sauce
Just a few places you can find some of my featured recipes:
The weekly TLC Life section of the Tallahassee Democrat-USA Today Network-Florida newspaper.
Better Homes and Gardens, Taste of Home, TODAY.com, Country Living, Parade, Community Table, Country Cooking, Tallahassee.com Community Blogs, Des Moines Register, FoodGawker, Shari’s Berries, Buzzfeed, Red Tricycle, Muckrack, YouTube, and MSN
And, my recipes have been showcased in Tailgater and Cowgirl, both print magazines.
I have also been a guest presenter on the ABC affiliate, WTXL-TV Sunrise Morning Show cooking segment.
If you like the recipes on my site, love to cook, and love cookbooks as I do, you might also enjoy a post I did: 10 Tips on Starting Your Own Cookbook Club.
I am so happy that you are here! Please don’t be shy; feel free to ask questions or leave a comment to let me know what you think or how you liked a recipe. I would also love it if you introduced yourself and let me know what types of recipes you would like to see here – contact form.