Easy Christmas Red Velvet Cake Trifle Recipe
It might be said that Easy Christmas Red Velvet Cake Trifle dessert with its festive candy cane colors and delicious and decadent layers is a Christmas miracle!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 box red velvet cake mix prepared with vegetable oil and eggs per the cake mix directions
- 8 oz package cream cheese softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar may add more to taste
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 21 oz cherry pie filling can
Prepare the red velvet cake mix according to the directions on the box and bake it in a 9x13 pan.
To make the cream cheese whipped cream, use an electric mixer and whip the cream cheese in a small bowl until it is soft and fluffy. Set aside.
Add the whipping cream to a large bowl and use an electric mixer set on medium to whip the cream until soft peaks form.
Add the cream cheese to the whipped cream and continue whipping on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and whip to combine. Taste and add more powdered sugar if you want it a little sweeter. Cream cheese whipped cream can be made up to a day ahead and stored covered in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to make the trifle, cut the cake up into cubes and place a layer of cubes in the bottom of a trifle dish.*
Top the cake cubes with 1/3 of the cherry pie filling and spread out evenly.
Top the cherry pie filling with 1/3 of the cream cheese whipped cream and spread out evenly.
Repeat the layers two more times ending with a layer of cream cheese whipped cream.
Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day before serving.
Optional, garnish with a sprinkle of crushed candy canes.
Sharon's Expert Tips:
- I used a clear glass trifle bowl, which was approximately 7.5" in diameter and 5" deep. If you don't have a trifle bowl, you can use a clear glass bowl.
- Yes, you can substitute refrigerated whipped topping for the cream cheese whipped cream if you are going to be serving the cake immediately and it will be delicious. However, it will not hold up quite as long in the refrigerator.
- If you are making this dessert ahead, when the cake has cooled, wrap well and freeze for up to a month until you are ready to prepare the trifle
Calories: 393kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 228mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 750IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 0.7mg