Apple Pie Cheesecake with Caramel Topping
Say yes, to Apple Pie Cheesecake with Caramel Topping for a sweet ending to your holiday meals, and be prepared to be blown away by all of the flavorful layers and textures tucked into this delicious dessert!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 35 mins
Servings: 8 servings
Gingersnap Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1 box gingersnap cookies 12 oz
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
Apple Pie Cheesecake Ingredients:
- 1 can apple pie filling 21 ounces
- 2 pkgs cream cheese 16 oz, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs large or extra large
- 1/2 cup roasted* pecans can substitute candied pecans
Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Special equipment needed: 9-inch springform pan
Gingersnap Crust directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the cookies in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until the cookies are fine crumbs.
Add melted butter and process until well mixed.
Pour the crumb mixture into a 9-inch springform pan and spread out evenly. Use your hands or the bottom of a flat measuring cup and press the mixture firmly onto the bottom of the pan.
Bake for 9-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool while you make the cheesecake.
Apple Pie Cheesecake Directions:
Spoon all but 3/4 cup of the apple pie filling into the pie crust. Spread out evenly.
Add the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla to a medium size bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
Add the eggs and mix well.
Pour this mixture over the apple pie filling.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until the center of the cheesecake is set. Allow the cheesecake to cool.
Caramel Sauce Directions:
While the cheesecake is cooling make the caramel sauce by mixing the brown sugar, half-and-half, butter, and salt in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly.
Add the vanilla and cook for another minute or so. Allow to cool completely.
Apple Pie Cheesecake Assembly:
Top the cooled cheesecake with the remaining apple pie filling and drizzle 1/4 to 1/2 cup of caramel sauce evenly over the top of the apple pie filling. (You will have leftover caramel sauce which is great over vanilla ice cream.)
Sprinkle pecans over the top of the apple pie filling and caramel sauce. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Sharon's Expert Tips:
- A springform pan is a 2-piece round cake pan with an easily removable bottom, which is held in place by sides which can be loosened with a clamp. It is most often used to make cheesecakes. If you don't have a springform pan, you can use a regular cake pan, but you will need to leave the cheesecake in the pan and cut the slices like a pie.
- You can substitute graham crackers, vanilla wafers or Biscoff cookies for the gingersnap cookies.
- For the best consistency, make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature, before mixing. Simply place it unopened on the counter for 30-60 minutes or use your microwave and place the completely unwrapped cheese on a microwave-safe plate and microwave it on high for 15 seconds.
- Store the cheesecake covered tightly in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I always put the springform pan sides back on and then just cover it with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- In the unlikely event, your springform pan may leak, it's a good idea to wrap a double layer of aluminum foil around the outside and over the bottom of the pan.
- In the event you have leftovers, you will be happy to know you can freeze this cheesecake. To freeze, place the cooled cheesecake on a baking pan and freeze, uncovered, until firm. Remove the cheesecake from the freezer, wrap it in heavy duty aluminum foil and place in a plastic freezer bag. Before serving, thaw the cheesecake in the refrigerator overnight.
Calories: 472kcal | Carbohydrates: 79g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 234mg | Potassium: 147mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 63g | Vitamin A: 700IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2.2mg