Are you looking for a really yummy, quick and easy breakfast dish? Well, keep reading, because I have a great new recipe for you. These individual Baked Egg Cups are so good, you will wonder why you haven’t been making them all along.
I first started baking eggs in muffin tins a few years back for Eggs Benedict because I could never quite master poached eggs. Baking your eggs is a great way to go when you have company or are cooking for a crowd because you basically just pop them in whatever you are cooking them in, put them in the oven and forget them until they are done.
This quick dish is ready in 15 minutes and is definitely a nice break from cereal or yogurt for breakfast. Another bonus is you serve them in the same dish they are cooked in! So, fewer dishes to wash. Of course, these Baked Egg Cups would be delicious for a brunch or even as a snack for when the kids come home from school. You can also personalize them by adding different ingredients like bell pepper, mushrooms, and spinach, really, the sky is the limit.
Looking for more breakfast or brunch ideas and recipes, check out my easy 32 Mother’s Day Breakfast and Brunch Recipes!
This recipe for Baked Egg Cups contains eggs, heavy cream, butter, bacon, cherry tomatoes, Monterey jack cheese, kosher salt and pepper and fresh basil. You will also need small ramekins, or you can use a regular size muffin tin.
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
To make the Egg Cups, melt the butter and generously grease the inside of your ramekins. Add some sliced cherry tomatoes, about a tablespoon of cheese, and a little basil.
Add an egg to each ramekin, and season with salt and pepper. Top with 1/2 of a teaspoon of heavy cream and sprinkle a little more cheese over everything.
Put the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake the eggs for 8-10 minutes, depending on how hard you like your yolks. Turn the heat to broil, and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted on the top and your eggs are cooked like you like them.
Garnish with fresh basil and crispy bacon pieces and serve immediately.
Baked Egg Cups
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack or mozzarella cheese
- 4-6 fresh basil leaves cut in thin strips
- 2 tsp heavy cream or milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease the ramekins with the melted butter and add a few sliced cherry tomatoes, about 1 Tbsp shredded Monterey jack cheese and a few strips of basil.
- Add an egg to each ramekin and top with 1/2 tsp of cream or milk. Add a little more cheese to the top and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the yolks are how you like them.
- Turn your oven heat to broil and broil the eggs 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the eggs are set.
- Remove from the oven and top with crumbled bacon and fresh basil.
- Serve immediately.