Easy Chicken Mushroom Marsala Pasta is a recipe that is not only delicious, but it’s also family friendly and quick and easy enough for a weeknight dinner! It’s also a perfect make-ahead dinner party recipe, and this chicken casserole is the very definition of comfort food at it’s finest!
Easy Chicken Mushroom Marsala Pasta can be made ahead of time so that you have time to spend with your family or guests and it also freezes beautifully. In fact, I usually double the recipe, and serve half and freeze the other half to serve at another time. And, did I mention it is absolutely delicious! This is definitely one of our family’s favorite recipes, and I know you will love it too!
I have to thank my friend Carolyn Haley who hosts A Southerner’s Notebook blog for sharing this recipe with me several years ago. We went to high school together in Pensacola and Carolyn is an excellent cook. Her blog is loaded with many fabulous recipes and lots of decorating ideas as well as beautiful table settings. Carolyn and my sister Chula at The Pudge Factor blog actually inspired me to start on my blogging journey.
If you like comfort food recipes, you might also like these easy recipes. All are delicious, quick and easy to make, can be made ahead of time and all freeze beautifully: Easy Southern Style Chicken Divan, Chicken Sausage and Wild Rice Casserole, and Spaghetti Pie.
How to make Easy Chicken Mushroom Marsala Pasta
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Sprinkle salt and pepper on two chicken breast halves and drizzle a little olive oil on both. Place on a sheet pan and roast and roast for about 20-25 minutes or until done. Cool and cut into cubes.
Cook pasta al dente according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside.
In a separate pan over medium heat, heat oil and add mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms until they are lightly browned. Add salt and pepper and continue cooking until the liquid has evaporated. Add the Marsala wine and cook until all liquid has evaporated.
Add in butter and stir until melted and then add in flour, cooking for a minute to a minute and a half. Slowly add chicken stock constantly stirring while scraping the bottom of the pan as you add the stock. Reduce the heat to a simmer and constantly stir until the sauce thickens.
Add the pasta to the sauce and mix thoroughly. Then stir in 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, cubed mozzarella, fresh parsley and roasted chicken. Taste for seasoning and mix well to combine all ingredients.
Pour into a buttered casserole dish and top the mixture with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees or until the topping is lightly browned and melted.
If you liked the recipe above, please consider rating it and leaving a comment below. Also, follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram. And finally, to receive new notifications of new posts by email, enter your email address in the Subscribe box. Thank you so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones!
Easy Chicken Mushroom Marsala Pasta
- 1/2 lb ziti cooked and drained according to package directions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Portobello mushrooms sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dry Marsala wine
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted or reduced salt chicken stock
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese divided
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese cut into small cubes
- 3 tbsp flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 2 chicken breast halves roasted, and cut into bite size cubes*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate sauce pan heat oil and add mushrooms. Saute mushrooms over medium heat until they are lightly browned. Add salt and pepper and saute until any liquid has evaporated. Add the marsala wine and cook until all liquid has evaporated. Add in butter, stir until melted and then add in flour cooking for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add chicken stock stirring constantly while scraping the bottom of the pan as you add the stock. Reduce heat to a simmer stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and mix thoroughly. Stir in 3/4 cup Parmesan, cubed mozzarella, parsley and chicken. Taste for seasoning and combine all ingredients. Pour into a buttered casserole dish and top with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.