Discover my delicious Spinach Strawberry Salad Recipe featuring sweet strawberries, crunchy roasted pecans, and fresh baby spinach.
My irresistible homemade Poppy Seed Dressing adds a touch of magic to this quick, effortless, and guilt-free side dish and makes it a real crowd-pleaser.
I make this or my Spinach Salad with Apples and Pecans when we are in the mood for something light and easy for dinner, and it’s excellent as a main dish or a side dish.
Reasons you will love this recipe:
- This delicious Spinach Strawberry Salad with Pecans is made with simple ingredients and takes only 10 minutes to prepare.
- The perfect combination of fresh ingredients, such as spinach and ripe strawberries, makes this a beautiful dish with a fresh taste that will quickly make it a family favorite.
- Spinach Strawberry Salad with Pecans is versatile and an excellent choice for brunch and lunch.
Ingredient notes and substitutions:
Fresh baby spinach, strawberries, and roasted pecans – are combined to make the salad.
- Apple cider vinegar, Olive oil, and Dijon mustard – make the base of the poppyseed dressing.
- Poppy seeds and shallots – add flavor and texture to the dressing.
- Granulated sugar, kosher salt, and ground black pepper – enhance the flavors of all the dressing ingredients.
A complete list of all ingredients for the salad and dressing is listed below in the recipe card.
How to make Spinach Strawberry Pecan Salad and Poppy Seed Dressing:
- Place the spinach in one large serving bowl or divide it into individual bowls to make this tasty side dish. Top with strawberries and roasted pecan halves and toss to combine.
- To make the homemade poppy seed dressing, place all the dressing ingredients, except the poppy seeds, in a blender and process until smooth. Then, add the poppy seeds and combine.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
- Serve immediately.
Like most fresh salads, this recipe can be served by itself for a light lunch, or if you want to make a more substantial meal, it pairs well with my Crustless Ham and Cheese Quiche, Spinach and Bacon Quiche with Tomatoes, or my Roasted Tomato Quiche with Goat Cheese.
The homemade poppy seed salad dressing is sweet and tangy and goes great with fruit and vegetable salads, but you can swap it out for purchased salad dressing or your favorite balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
You can also mix things up and substitute candied pecans or raw pecans, pistachios, almonds, or walnuts for the roasted pecans. Or how about adding mandarin oranges, chopped red onions, creamy avocado, and other fresh fruit? Anything goes!
And if you would like to add a bit of protein to this easy strawberry spinach salad, you could add a little goat cheese, blue cheese, tangy feta, cooked chicken, or even bacon bits.
How to store leftovers:
For the best results, store any leftover ingredients in separate containers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Store the dressing in a small mason jar, and it will last for up to two weeks.
Remember that leafy greens like spinach are more prone to wilting when dressed, so once the dressing is added, they may lose some of their crispness when stored.
Although you can buy fresh berries year-round, these sweet berries are best from March through June.
I like to add my spinach to the basket of my salad spinner. Then I fill it with water and swish it around with my hands. Drain it and repeat a second time to ensure any dirt or debris is removed.
Allow the washed spinach to drain in a colander or on a clean kitchen towel. You can gently pat it dry with a paper towel if needed. Remember to be gentle when handling spinach to avoid bruising or damaging the delicate leaves
This dish is best enjoyed immediately after assembling. However, you can make the dressing and store it in the fridge, wash and dry the spinach leaves, and store them in airtight containers in the fridge.
You can also wash and prep your fresh strawberries by cutting off the stems and leaves or hulling the fresh berries and storing them in the fridge. Then, all you have to do is combine the ingredients just before serving.
Expert tips and tricks:
Use fresh, high-quality ingredients. Look for ripe and sweet strawberries, crisp baby spinach leaves, and fresh pecans for the best flavor and texture.
Ensure the spinach leaves are dry before assembling the salad to prevent it from being.
Wait to toss the salad with the dressing until just before serving to keep the spinach leaves crisp and prevent wilting.
Remember that a little dressing goes a long way. Start with a small amount, toss, and add more if needed. Overdressing can make the salad soggy. You will have extra dressing leftover.
More delicious salad recipes:
If you need more recipes or menu ideas, you can find all of my salad recipes here.
⭐ ⭐ ⭐⭐⭐ If you make this dish, please leave a comment and give this recipe a star rating. I would love to know how you liked it!
Thank you so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones; I hope you come back soon!
Best Spinach Strawberry Salad Recipe with Pecans
- 10 ounces fresh raw baby spinach, washed and dried
- 1 cup fresh strawberries leaves and stem removed or hulled and sliced
- 1 cup roasted pecan halves
Poppy Seed Dressing
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Place the spinach in one large serving bowl or divide it into individual bowls. Top with strawberries and pecans and drizzle with poppy seed dressing.
Poppy Seed Dressing
- Place all ingredients except poppy seeds in a blender and process until smooth. Add the poppy seeds and combine.