Enjoy the deliciousness of a decadent blueberry dessert with none of the work with this tantalizing Blueberry Delight recipe. Fresh or frozen blueberries are cooked together with nothing more than a little lemon juice, flour, and sugar and then piled high on a shortbread crust.
The crowning glory is a whipped cream cheese topping that adorns this delicious old-fashioned dessert.
Lemon and blueberries go together like peanut butter and jelly, and one bite of this cloud-like dessert will convince you that it came straight from heaven. It’s a perfect snack or an excellent dessert that both your big and little kids will love.
Now you may be thinking that this dish sounds familiar. This classic recipe and its variations have been around the block a few times. And, it has been served at many a potluck and backyard BBQ over the years. My sister Nancy shared this recipe with me so I could share it with you!
Depending on where you live, you also may have heard it called Blueberry Lush, Blueberry Yum Yum, Blueberry Surprise, or Blueberry Cheesecake dessert. But no matter what you call it, I hope you call it your dessert for tonight!
Other flavor variations:
No fresh or frozen blueberries, no problem. You can easily substitute fresh or frozen cherries, raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries in this recipe. Of course, you will have to change the name to Cherry Delight, and so on… You can also substitute canned pie filling in whatever flavor you love.
Oh, and while I’m thinking of substitutions, you can also substitute a graham cracker crust for the flour shortbread crust, and you can swap out real homemade whipped cream for the frozen whipped topping. How’s that for a versatile recipe?
Leftovers, if you have them, will last two to three days covered in the refrigerator. I do not recommend trying to freeze them.
More simple dessert recipes:
If this recipe is right up your alley, you might also love these popular recipes on my blog:
- Strawberry Trifle with Angel Food Cake
- Easy Oreo Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Classic Southern Strawberry Shortcake
- Southern Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- Old-Fashioned Strawberry Pie
- Blueberry Upside Down Cake
Need more recipes or menu ideas; you can see all of my dessert recipes here.
What you will need:
To make this recipe as written, you will need self-rising flour and butter for the crust. For the filling, you will need fresh or frozen blueberries, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and lemon zest. And, last but not least, you will need cream cheese, sugar, and extra creamy frozen whipped topping for the topping.
How to make the crust:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the butter and flour in a small bowl and mix well.
Press into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
How to make the filling:
Combine the blueberries, sugar, and flour in a medium-size saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir constantly and bring the mixture to a boil.
Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and zest. Stir to combine and pour over the crust. Spread out evenly. Set aside to cool completely.
How to make the topping:
Combine the cream cheese and sugar in a medium-size bowl using an electric mixer. When the mixture is smooth, add the whipped topping and continue mixing until everything is combined.
Drop the topping by spoonfuls over the filling and carefully spread out evenly.
Cover and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of two hours.
Cut into squares and serve.
- You can substitute two cans of fruit pie filling for the cooked filling in this recipe. Be sure to use regular pie filling and not fruit in syrup.
- If you prefer, you can substitute a graham cracker crust for the shortbread crust. To make a graham cracker crust, combine 1-¾ cup of graham cracker crumbs, six tablespoons of butter, and ⅓ cup of sugar and press it down evenly in the pan. You do not need to bake it.
- To substitute homemade whipped cream for the whipped topping, use your electric mixer to whip up one cup of heavy whipping cream with two tablespoons of confectioners sugar and one teaspoon of vanilla extract. Continue whipping until the mixture forms medium peaks, which should take about three to four minutes.
- If you don’t have any self-rising flour, you can make your own by adding 1-½ teaspoons of baking powder and ¼ teaspoon of salt to one cup of all-purpose flour.
- Blueberry delight can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. It should not be frozen.
- The finished picture of this delicious dessert is two blueberry delight squares stacked on top of each other.
Be sure your cream cheese is soft before mixing it with anything. If not soft, place it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
More recipes featuring blueberries:
- Easy Buttermilk Banana Bread with Blueberries
- Easy Mini Blueberry Hand Pies
- Ultimate Blueberry Bread with Lemon Glaze
- Blueberry Thumbprint Cookies with Lemon Glaze
★ If you make this dish, please leave a comment and give this recipe a star rating. I would love to know how you liked it!
Thank you so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones!
Blueberry Delight - A Quick and Easy Blueberry Dessert
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice fresh
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping extra creamy or regular
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the butter and flour in a small bowl and mix well. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Combine the blueberries, sugar, and flour in a medium-size saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir constantly and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and zest. Stir to combine and pour over the crust. Spread out evenly. Set aside to cool completely.
- Combine the cream cheese and sugar in a medium-size bowl using an electric mixer. When the mixture is smooth, add the whipped topping and continue mixing until everything is combined.
- Drop by spoonful over the topping and carefully spread out evenly.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of two hours.
- Cut into squares and serve.