This fabulous and Easy Creamy Crab Mornay Dip is a flavorful appetizer and perfect for holiday parties or anytime you are entertaining and want to serve your family or guests something special!
Crab Mornay is pure creamy deliciousness with chunks of briny crabmeat and a hint of sherry and is wonderful served in a chafing dish with toasted baguette slices or toast points. You can’t get much more decadent than this, or find a holiday appetizer that will be any more popular or any easier to prepare. Crab Mornay is also a perfect make-ahead appetizer. Make the filling the day before, and then just heat it up when it’s time to serve.
Crab Mornay also makes an elegant entree when served in flaky puff pastry shells.
This scrumptious recipe was developed by the mother of a longtime friend of mine (Carolyn) and she prepared it often for her family. It was also featured in the Thymes Remembered Cookbook, published by The Junior League of Tallahassee. Carolyn also has a blog with many delicious recipes: A Southerner’s Notebook.
Easy Creamy Crab Mornay Dip ingredients include butter, scallions, parsley, flour, half and half, Swiss Cheese, sherry, ground red pepper, and fresh claw or lump crabmeat. If you are preparing the Crab Mornay as an entree, you will also need frozen puff pastry shells.
To begin, melt butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan and saute the scallions and parsley over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
Add flour and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Then, add the half and half and cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
Add sherry, and red pepper according to your taste, and gently fold in the crabmeat, taking care not to break up the lumps. (If making ahead, cover and refrigerate the crab mixture until you are ready to serve. Reheat over low heat and serve.)
To serve as an appetizer, place the hot crab mixture in a chafing dish, garnish with chopped parsley or minced scallion greens, and serve with toast points or toasted baguette slices.
To serve as an entree, fill baked puff pastry shells with the hot crab mixture and garnish with chopped parsley or minced scallion greens.
If you are looking for more appetizer recipes, consider my Redneck Caviar Dip. Not only is it delicious, but it is healthy too and full of vegetables.
If you liked the recipe above, please consider rating it and leaving a comment below. Also, follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram. And finally, to be the first to receive notifications of new posts by email, enter your email address in the Subscribe box. Thank you so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones!
Easy Creamy Crab Mornay Dip Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 scallions white parts only, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 pint half and half
- 8 oz Swiss cheese shredded
- 1 Tbsp Sherry
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 lb fresh claw or lump crabmeat
- Melt butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat and saute scallions and parsley for 1-2 minutes.
- Add flour, whisk and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add half and half and cheese and whisk until the cheese is melted.
- Add sherry, red pepper to taste, and gently fold in the crabmeat, taking care not to break up the lumps. Heat for a few minutes until the mixture is thoroughly heated.*
- Serve immediately or place in a chafing dish to keep warm. Garnish with chopped parsley or minced scallion greens.
- If serving as an entree, purchase frozen puff pastry shells and prepare according to the directions on the package. Add the crab mixture to the baked shells serve warm.