Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing is one of our favorite side dishes and I serve it often, especially when we have company. It’s full of crunchy vegetables, and the honey-lime dressing is sweet, spicy, and simply amazing!
I usually make a big batch of the Mexican dressing and add it to everything. I have even added it to chicken salad and, let me tell you, it was divine! This Mexican salad is great as a side dish, but it’s also perfect as a main-dish and would also be perfect for Cinco de Mayo!
Here’s what you will need:
Romaine lettuce, black beans, tomatoes, jicama, frozen corn, radishes, avocado, red bell pepper, Cotija cheese, and scallions. For the Mexican dressing, you will need limes, olive oil, honey or agave nectar, garlic, jalapenos, and Kosher salt.
How to make the dressing:
Add all dressing ingredients to a blender and process until smooth. Store in the refrigerator. It’s better to make it at least 24 hours before using it.
How to make the salad:
Toss Romaine lettuce, black beans, tomatoes, jicama, frozen corn, radishes, red bell pepper, and scallions in a large bowl.
Top with the dressing and toss again. Add the Cotija cheese and avocado. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
The last time I made this dish, I didn’t have jicama or radishes, and it was still delicious.
This dish is versatile, add more or less of ingredients you like or don’t have.
If you have never had jicama, give it a try. Jicamas are sort of like a cross between an apple and a potato and add a crunchy element.
Another variation is to add half of your avocado to the blender when mixing your dressing, it gives it a nice creaminess.
If you are feeding a crowd, double the recipe!
If you can’t find Cotija cheese, you can substitute crumbled Feta cheese. It has a similar texture and saltiness.
If you like this recipe, you also might be interested in these popular recipes:
- Beef Taco Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing
- Summer Garden Pasta Salad
- Corn Tomato and Avocado Salad
- Roasted Shrimp Pasta Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Fall Harvest Salad with Apples and Sweet Potatoes
If you want more menu ideas or recipes, click on this link for all of my salad recipes:
★ If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and give it a star rating. I would love to know how you liked it!
Thank you so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones!
Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
Honey-Lime Dressing Ingredients
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice about 2 large limes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp honey or agave nectar
- 2-3 cloves garlic peeled and minced or grated
- 1 jalapeño pepper chopped and seeded
- Kosher salt to taste
Mexican Chopped Salad Ingredients
- 2-1/2 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 can black beans 15.5 oz can, rinsed and well drained
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled jicama
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 2-3 scallions chopped
- To make the dressing, add all dressing ingredients to a blender and process until smooth. It's best if you make it 24 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator.
- To make the salad, toss all ingredients but the avocado and Cotija cheese in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the mixture and toss again.
- Top with the Cotija cheese and avocado. Serve immediately. Enjoy!