Spooktacularly delicious Witches’ Brew-Halloween Punch with a Kick will take the fear out of hosting a Halloween party and set the stage for a fun evening full of vampires, ghosts, and ghoulish Halloween party food. And, with my simple, easy-to-follow-directions, and a little dry ice, the only thing scarier might be just how much witches’ brew you might consume…
Shakespeare’s three witches added “eye of newt” and “toe of frog” to their cauldron of witches’ brew as they cast a spell on poor Macbeth, chanting “double, double, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble”.
Unlike Shakespeare’s witches’ brew, while my Witches’ Brew Halloween Punch might bubble in a cauldron, it is simply delicious and guaranteed to liven up any Halloween party! Made with tequila, pomegranate juice, sparkling wine, fresh lemon juice, and cranberry juice, the bright deep blood red color of this punch makes it perfect for Halloween.
With all of the fruit juices, this Halloween alcoholic drink is similar to sangria and makes a great light, refreshing cocktail anytime. And, if you want to make this punch non-alcoholic, you can simply leave out the tequila and sparkling wine and add the same amount of club soda.
Looking for more Halloween Party Food and Ideas?
Check out these popular Halloween recipes on my blog:
- Easy Halloween Jalapeno Mummies
- Halloween Spooky Spider Deviled Eggs
- Easy Halloween Meringue Ghosts
- Halloween Graveyard Cheesecake Dip
- Spooky Ghosts Chocolate Halloween Cupcakes
- Easy Halloween Black Forest Trifle, and, if these aren’t enough,
- 25 Spooktacularly Easy Halloween Treats
How to make Halloween punch with dry ice.
You will need two bowls of different sizes which are the same height. One to hold the punch, and one to set the punch bowl in. Or you can purchase a plastic Halloween cauldron to use as the larger bowl.
Place the smaller bowl inside the larger bowl and use tongs to transfer small chunks of dry ice into the area between the larger and smaller bowl. Make sure no dry ice gets in the bowl which will hold the punch. Fill the smaller bowl with the punch and pour warm water on top of the dry ice.
When the dry ice comes in contact with the warm water it will start smoking. Depending on the size of the chunks of dry ice, the smoke will last between 10-30 minutes. If you still have dry ice left, you can add additional warm water and it will start to smoke again.
Where to buy dry ice?
In Tallahassee, FL, the Publix grocery stores carry dry ice.
How to handle dry ice.
Always handle dry ice with protective gloves, or tongs whenever touching it. Store it in a styrofoam cooler until you are ready to use it, not in your freezer. Use a hammer to break up dry ice into smaller chunks.
Is dry ice dangerous?
According to the website, ThoughtCo.com “dry ice, which is the solid form of carbon dioxide, is not dangerous if it is stored and used correctly. Although, it can present hazards because it is extremely cold and quickly sublimates into carbon dioxide gas.”
Can you add dry ice to drinks to make them smoke?
Some websites claim you can do this under certain circumstances, but my advice is to play it safe and not do it. There is food grade dry ice which can be used, and it shouldn’t cause a problem unless someone swallows a chunk of it, but in my book, there are too many potential risks to chance it.
Ideas for decorating your smoking Halloween punch bowl.
I purchased eyeballs, and a witch’s hand from Hobby Lobby and added the eyeballs to the punch and rested the witch’s hand on the bowl. I also placed the punch bowls on a piece of black gauzy fabric to make it look extra spooky.
How to make Witches’ Brew-Halloween Punch with a Kick!
Refrigerate all ingredients except the sugar until you are ready to make the punch.
Make a simple syrup by placing the sugar and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir constantly and boil about 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Let the syrup cool.
Stir together the pomegranate juice, tequila, lemon juice, and cranberry juice in a large gallon size container or punch bowl and add the cooled simple syrup. Chill at least 4 hours.
If making an ice ring, add additional cranberry juice to a mold and freeze until firm, which should also take about 4 hours. If you don’t have a mold, you could fill the cups of a muffin tin, use paper cups, or even a plastic storage bowl to make a block of cranberry ice to keep your punch cold.
Right before you serve your Halloween punch, add the sparkling wine and ice ring.
To be the first to receive notifications of new recipes by email enter your email address here or in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones!
Witches' Brew, Halloween Punch with a Kick
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 quart 100% pomegranate juice
- 3 cups tequila
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup 100% cranberry juice not cranberry juice cocktail
- 1 750-ml bottle dry sparkling wine I used Prosecco
- 1 pound dry ice
- Optional: ice ring
- Refrigerate all ingredients except the sugar until you are ready to make the punch.
- Make a simple syrup by placing the sugar and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir constantly and boil about 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Let the syrup cool.
- Stir together the pomegranateﾊjuice, tequila, lemon juice, and cranberry juice in a large gallon size container or punch bowl and add the cooled simple syrup. Chill at least 4 hours.
- If making an ice ring, add additional cranberry juice to a mold and freeze until firm, which should also take about 4 hours. If you don't have a mold, you could fill the cups of a muffin tin, use paper cups, or even a plastic storage bowl to make a block of cranberry ice to keep your punch cold.
- Right before you serve your Halloween punch, add the sparkling wine and ice ring.