Are you looking for quick and easy Halloween appetizers, recipes, or potluck ideas to serve at a Halloween party? Easy Halloween Jalapeño Mummies are a spooktacular treat, and the perfect Halloween themed finger food.
These super cute mummies are jalapeño poppers with ghostly, googly eyes peeping out between layers of baked, flaky crescent roll dough.
Not only are these adorable little guys great Halloween appetizers, but they also make a healthy after-school snack for your kids. And, who could resist these spooky tasty treats? Halloween Jalapeño Mummies are a fun Halloween recipe and they are so easy; even your kids can make them.
Although it seems like Halloween is mostly about all things candy, these spooky Jalapeño Mummies are an excellent healthy alternative to sweet treats. Both your big and little kids will love them!
Here’s what you will need to make this recipe:
You only need a few ingredients for these cute little guys, and they are jalapeño peppers, cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, refrigerated crescent roll dough, an egg, kosher salt, pepper, and candy googly eyes.
How to make this recipe:
When you are ready to make these delicious Halloween appetizers, gather the ingredients and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the jalapeño peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and ribs. Leave on the stems. Discard the seeds and ribs.
In a small bowl mix the cream cheese, pepper jack cheese (substitute Monterrey Jack cheese for less heat), garlic and onion powders, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
Fill the jalapeño peppers with the cheese mixture. Don’t overfill or the cheese will ooze out while baking.
Unroll the crescent roll dough leaving the triangles together and pinching the perforations together. Cut thin strips (about 1/2 inch wide) of dough and wrap one or two pieces around each pepper half. Leave a space at the top to insert the googly eyes.
Make an egg wash by combining the egg and about one tablespoon of water. Mix well.
Place the mummies on a baking sheet, and brush a thin layer of egg wash on each one.
Bake for about 15 minutes or until the mummies are golden brown.
Remove from the oven and place the candy googly eyes in the melted cheese.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Sharon’s Expert Tips:
If you are making Easy Halloween Jalapeño Mummies for young children, you might want to substitute Monterrey Jack cheese for the pepper jack cheese to tone down the kick a bit.
You can find the candy googly eyes in the baking ingredient section of most grocery stores; they are also available at Michael’s and other hobby stores that carry baking and candy making supplies.
I use a serrated grapefruit spoon to scoop out the seeds and ribs from the jalapeños. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling the peppers and avoid touching your eyes or wear gloves.
To make the Jalapeño Mummies ahead, I have found it works best to make and stuff the peppers up to 24 hours ahead of time, then cover and store them in the refrigerator. Before your party wrap them with dough and bake them.
Be sure to add the googly eyes right with the mummies come out of the oven while the cheese is still melted so they will stick.
If you love bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers as we do, be sure to take a look at my easy recipe for Baked Bacon Ranch Jalapeño Poppers! They are delicious and make a fantastic appetizer too.
Are you looking for more Halloween recipes, appetizers, or potluck ideas?
For a sweet ending to the party, be sure to serve one or more of these Halloween themed dessert recipes: Halloween Graveyard Cheesecake Dip, Spooky Ghosts Chocolate Halloween Cupcakes, or Easy Halloween Black Forest Trifle.
And, for the adults, a little Witches’ Brew Halloween Punch with a Kick will be a welcome libation.
If you need even more Halloween recipes and food ideas, be sure to take a look at my roundup post of 50 Spooktacularly Cute, and Easy Halloween Treats. Or, check out this roundup of Halloween appetizers from the Pudge Factor Blog: 33 Utterly Bewitching Halloween Recipes.
★ If you make these adorable Jalapeño Mummies, please leave a comment and give this recipe a star rating. I would love to know how you liked it! Thanks so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones!
Easy Halloween Jalapeño Mummies
- 5 jalapeno peppers
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 oz pepper jack cheese grated
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Pinch Kosher salt and pepper
- 20 candy googly eyes
- 1 can refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Slice the jalapeño peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and ribs.
- In a small bowl mix the cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. You can also use a food processor to mix everything.
- Fill the jalapeño pepper halves with the cheese mixture. Don't overfill or the cheese will ooze out while baking.
- Unroll the crescent roll dough leaving the triangles together and pinching the perforations together. Cut thin strips (about 1/2 inch wide) of dough and wrap one or two pieces around each pepper half. Leave a space at the top open to insert the googly eyes when they are done.
- Make an egg wash by combining the egg and about one tablespoon of water. Mix well. Place the mummies on your baking sheet, and brush a thin layer of egg wash on each one.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the mummies are golden brown. Remove from the oven and place the candy googly eyes in the melted cheese.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Updated this post on September 29, 2019, to add expert tips.