Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho Soup is a sweet and savory bowl of healthy deliciousness that you can have on your table in less than 20 minutes. Like my Watermelon Feta Salad with Basil and Blueberries, it is light and refreshing and the epitome of summer eating.
Watermelon Gazpacho is the sixth and final recipe in my Simple Summer Supper series. If you like watermelon and you are looking for a light and refreshing, nutrient-rich, summer entreé then this chilled watermelon gazpacho soup is right up your alley!
I can’t think of anything that typifies summer like watermelon, and it is one of my favorite fruits. You can almost always find watermelon in my refrigerator, and it makes the perfect snack or healthy dessert.
Like my more traditional Gazpacho made with tomatoes, not only does this watermelon gazpacho ooze flavor in every bite, but you also won’t have to heat up your kitchen by cooking.
Now I have to confess, although I love all gazpachos, especially this watermelon gazpacho, my husband wouldn’t touch it with a ten-foot pole. He doesn’t like any type of cold or chilled soup.
I’ve given up trying to convince him that regular gazpacho is nothing more than cold vegetable soup, and he could always heat it up. But, this is one battle I’m not winning… That’s okay; it just means there is more for me!
More Easy Summer Dinner Ideas:
Other quick and easy recipes you might enjoy in my Simple Summer Supper series include:
What are the health benefits of eating watermelon?
Watermelon is over 90 percent water, but it is full of vitamins A, B6, and C, lots of lycopene, antioxidants and amino acids.
How many calories are in watermelon?
Not only is watermelon fat-free, but it is also low in calories, coming in at only 40 calories per cup.
Can you freeze watermelon?
Believe it or not, you can freeze watermelon! Simply cut up the watermelon, place it in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze. Then store the chunks in an airtight plastic bag in the freezer.
Freezing does change the texture somewhat and the watermelon won’t be good for fresh salads, but it would work perfectly for this recipe for watermelon gazpacho, frozen watermelon slushies or smoothies.
How to make Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho Soup:
Roughly chop the watermelon.
Peel the cucumber. (If you are using an English or hothouse cucumber, you do not need to peel it.)
Seed the cucumber by cutting it in half lengthwise and scooping out the seeds and gelatinous pulp with a spoon. Chop.
Remove the core of the tomato by inserting a knife at an angle around the stem-end and removing the core. Chop.
Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until the mixture is smooth.
Cover and refrigerate until chilled or ready to serve.
To serve, spoon the gazpacho into bowls and garnish with cut up cucumber and basil if desired.
- To serve watermelon gazpacho as a starter or appetizer, pour it into shot glasses or small glasses and serve as shooters.
- Watermelon Gazpacho can be served immediately, but it is better if allowed to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Even seedless watermelons have a few small seeds. Don’t worry about trying to remove them.
Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho Soup
- 6 cups seedless watermelon chopped
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 tomato large, core removed and chopped
- ½ onion or shallot chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon basil fresh or can substitute dried
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Roughly chop the watermelon.
- Peel the cucumber. (If you are using an English or hothouse cucumber, you do not need to peel it.)
- Seed the cucumber by cutting it in half lengthwise and scooping out the seeds and gelatinous pulp with a spoon. Chop.
- Remove the core of the tomato by inserting a knife at an angle around the stem-end and removing the core. Chop.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until the mixture is smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled or ready to serve.
- To serve, spoon the gazpacho into bowls and garnish with cut up cucumber and basil if desired.