Creamy Homemade White Bean Soup with Broccoli is an irresistible blend of smooth textured and nutty flavored cannellini beans and roasted broccoli, a nutritional powerhouse. Don’t settle for bland white bean soup! With this flavorful recipe, you’ll have everyone begging for seconds.
White Bean Soup Ingredients:
Creamy white bean and broccoli soup ingredients include tasty roasted broccoli, garlic, shallots, chicken stock, heavy cream, and cannellini beans. It’s perfect for lunch or dinner. It’s also straightforward to make, and an excellent way to sneak more vegetables in your pickiest eaters’ diet!
So, the next time you are in the mood for soup, give it a try. It’s a bowl of simple deliciousness, guaranteed to warm the soul!
What can you substitute for Cannellini beans?
Great Northern Beans, White Kidney Beans or Navy Beans are all white beans and make excellent substitutes for cannellini beans. Cannelini beans, just like other white beans, are incredibly versatile. I almost always have a can in my pantry and can whip up any number of delicious cannellini bean recipes in a matter of minutes.The first time I made this soup, my husband asked me what I was preparing for dinner. When I told him White Bean Soup with Broccoli, he gave me a dubious look and went into a long story about how he didn’t like bean soup. To appease him, I had to promise that if he tasted it and didn’t like it, I would make him something else. But guess what? He did taste it and, just as I predicted, he cleaned his bowl and sheepishly admitted that it was delicious!
More healthy soup recipes:
If you like soup as we do, I know you will love these easy and nutritious soup recipes from my blog: Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup, Easy Southern Chicken and Dumplings, Creamy Leftover Turkey and Wild Rice Soup, Easy Creamy Southern Sweet Potato Soup, and Traditional Irish Potato Soup. Need more recipes, check out all of my soup recipes here.
How to make Creamy Homemade White Bean Soup with Broccoli:
To begin making this delicious soup, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut the florets off the broccoli stalks (reserve the stalks) and place on a baking sheet along with four cloves of peeled garlic. Drizzle with about a tablespoon of olive oil — toss and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, use a vegetable peeler and peel the broccoli stems. Cut them into small pieces. Peel and chop the shallots or onions. Put the chopped broccoli stalk pieces and shallots into a large saucepan, along with one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Cook, frequently stirring for about 3 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
Add the chicken stock and beans, cover and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low, cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Add the roasted broccoli and garlic to the pan. Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture to your desired consistency.
Add the cream, stir and taste. Add a bit of kosher salt and ground black pepper, if needed.
Sharon’s Expert Tips:
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can also use a blender or your food processor to puree your soup. Be careful when processing hot soup. Only fill the blender or food processor halfway and blend in batches. Let the mixture cool for a few minutes before you start. And always hold a potholder or kitchen towel over the lid when blending.
You can substitute canned great northern or navy beans for the cannellini beans. You can also substitute cooked dry beans.
Frozen broccoli florets are an excellent substitute for fresh broccoli.
Feel free to substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock to make this a vegetarian soup.
Be sure to drain and thoroughly rinse your canned beans before adding them to the soup.
Creamy Homemade White Bean Soup with Broccoli can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to three days. It can be kept in the freezer for two to three months.
Of course, you can use purchased chicken stock, however, if you would like to make your own, check out my post, How to Make Homemade Chicken Stock.
**If you make this soup, please give it a star rating and leave a comment. I love hearing from you!**
Creamy Homemade White Bean Soup with Broccoli
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 large heads of broccoli with stalks or 3 small
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 15 oz cannellini beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or half-and-half or milk
- To begin making this white bean soup, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the florets off of the broccoli stalks and place on a baking sheet along with 4 cloves of peeled garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, toss to make sure everything is coated, and roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the broccoli stems. Cut the stems into small pieces. Peel and mince the shallots. Place the chopped broccoli stalks and shallots into a large saucepan, along with one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently for about three minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the chicken stock and beans, cover and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low, cover, and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add the roasted broccoli and garlic to the soup. Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture to your desired consistency. (I like to leave small chunks of broccoli and beans.)
- Add cream and taste. Add a pinch of salt and ground black pepper if necessary. Serve immediately.
*This post was originally published on Feb 19, 2016. Republished September 2, 2019, with new photos, expanded directions, a video tutorial and the addition of helpful tips.