Go stir-fry crazy with this healthy, filling, and flavorful, Easy Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry entrée! It’s super easy to make and, it’s perfect for those nights when you are pressed for time. Believe it or not, you can have this delicious dish on the table in less than 15 minutes if you have already marinated the chicken!
My husband and I are staying true to our New Year’s resolutions and are still trying to eat healthily and get some exercise in every day. We have been so good, that we actually consider it a treat to take two gummy vitamins every evening. And, the sad fact is, I’m not kidding!
This Easy Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry is delicious and can be served over rice or pasta, but because we are limiting our carbs, we ate it all by itself, and it was absolutely wonderful. My husband liked it so much he took the leftovers for lunch the next day and said it was just as good reheated.
Easy Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry clocks in at only 215 calories without the cashews or rice so this yummy entrée is perfect if you are in the market for a low-calorie but delicious and filling meal.
If you like quick and easy chicken recipes, you might also want to check out my Lemon Chicken, Sweet and Sour Chicken and Tropical Chicken Curry. For even more chicken entrées, click on this link to all of my chicken recipes!
There is a fairly long ingredient list for this Easy Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry entrée, but it all comes together quickly. The ingredients are chicken breasts, scallions, garlic, ginger, low-sodium soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, dry sherry, sesame oil, olive oil, fresh broccoli, red chili flakes, water chestnuts and hoisin sauce.
To make Easy Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry, you have to first marinate the chicken. Place the cubed chicken in a medium-size bowl and add the scallions, garlic, ginger, low sodium soy sauce, sugar, one tsp cornstarch, one tsp salt, the sherry, and sesame oil. Mix well and marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes, or longer covered in your refrigerator.
Heat a large non-stick skillet or wok over high heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and heat. When the pan is hot, add your broccoli, 2 Tbsp water and 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper. Stir-fry until the broccoli is bright green and still crisp. This should take approximately 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Make sure your skillet is still hot and then heat two more Tbsp of olive oil. Add your chicken mixture and chili flakes. Let your chicken brown and stir frequently. This will take approximately 2 minutes.
Add the hoisin sauce, sliced water chestnuts, and put the broccoli back in the pan and mix well. Mix 1/3 cup of water with one Tbsp of cornstarch and pour into the skillet. Bring to a boil to thicken. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
To serve, garnish with cashews or sliced scallion green parts.
Yum! It makes my mouth water just thinking about it!
If you liked the recipe above, please consider rating it and leaving a comment below. Also, follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram. And finally, to be the first to receive notifications of new posts by email, enter your email address in the Subscribe box. Thank you so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones!
Easy Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 2 skinless chicken breast cut into cubes
- 3 scallions thinly sliced, white part only
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 inch piece of peeled ginger finely minced or grated using a zester
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 5-6 cups of broccoli florets about 3 stalks
- 1 small can sliced water chestnuts drained
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup cashews Optional garnish
- Add cubed chicken, scallions, garlic, ginger, low sodium soy sauce, sugar, 1 tsp cornstarch, 1 tsp salt, sherry, and sesame oil to a medium-size bowl or gallon-size plastic bag. Make sure the chicken is covered with the marinade and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, or longer covered in the refrigerator.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or wok over high heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil. When the pan is hot, add the broccoli, 2 Tbsp water and 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper. Stir-fry until the broccoli is bright green but still crisp. This should take approximately 2 minutes. Transfer the broccoli to a bowl and set aside.
- Make sure your skillet is still hot and then heat 2 more Tbsp of olive oil. Add chicken, marinade mixture, and chili flakes. Let chicken brown. Stir frequently. This takes approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add hoisin sauce and sliced water chestnuts to the chicken. Add the broccoli and mix well. Mix 1/2 cup of water with 1 Tbsp of cornstarch and pour into the skillet. Bring to a boil to thicken. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water. Taste, then season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve hot. Optional, garnish with cashews and serve over rice or pasta if desired.