Go stir-fry crazy with this healthy, filling, and flavorful Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry recipe! The secret is in my special tasty stir-fry sauce and delicious stir-fry chicken marinade. It’s super easy to make, and it’s perfect for those nights when you are pressed for time.
Believe it or not, if you marinate your chicken ahead, you can have this stir-fry broccoli and chicken recipe on the table in less than 15 minutes!
According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, stir-frying is frying food quickly over high heat while stirring it continuously. And, this recipe for Stir-Fry Broccoli and Chicken fits that definition perfectly. Chicken, which has been marinated in a stir-fry chicken marinade, and broccoli are cooked in a skillet over high heat in a delicious and easy stir-fry sauce.
Stir-Fry Broccoli and Chicken clocks in at only 215 calories without the cashews or rice. This yummy entrée is perfect if you are in the market for a low-calorie but delicious and filling meal.
Here’s what’s in the recipe:
There is a relatively long ingredient list for my Stir-Fry Broccoli and Chicken recipe. But I have also included the ingredients for the easy stir-fry sauce and stir-fry chicken marinade. Don’t worry; it all comes together quickly.
The ingredients are chicken breasts, scallions, garlic, ginger, low-sodium soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, dry sherry, sesame oil, olive oil, fresh broccoli, red chili flakes, water chestnuts, kosher salt, pepper, and hoisin sauce.
How to make the marinade:
The first step in making this dish is marinating the chicken. To make the chicken marinade, place the cubed chicken in a medium-size bowl. Add the scallions, garlic, ginger, low sodium soy sauce, sugar, one teaspoon cornstarch, one teaspoon salt, the sherry, and the sesame oil.
Mix well and marinate at room temperature for at least 15 minutes, or the chicken can marinate up to 24 hours covered in your refrigerator.
How to stir-fry broccoli:
Heat a large non-stick skillet or wok over high heat. Add one tablespoon of olive oil and heat. When the pan is hot, add the broccoli, two tablespoons water, and one-fourth teaspoon of kosher salt and pepper.
Stir-fry until the broccoli is bright green and still crisp. This should take approximately two minutes. Transfer the stir-fried broccoli to a bowl and set aside.
How to stir-fry chicken:
Make sure your skillet is still hot and then add two more tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken mixture and chili flakes. Let the chicken brown and stir it frequently. This will take approximately two minutes.
Easy homemade sauce:
To make the easy and tasty stir-fry sauce, add the hoisin sauce and sliced water chestnuts to the pan containing the chicken. Add the broccoli and mix well.
Mix one-third cup of water with one tablespoon of cornstarch and pour it into the skillet. Bring to a boil to thicken. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
To serve garnish with cashews or sliced scallion green parts and serve hot.
Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator. It is just as delicious reheated the next day.
I used fresh broccoli in this recipe, but you can use frozen broccoli too! Just let it thaw and wipe dry with a paper towel first.
This dish comes together quickly, and it’s easier if you have all of your ingredients handy when you start the stir-fry process.
This recipe calls for chicken breasts, but you can also use chicken thighs or dark meat. Use what you and your family like.
If you have a wok, by all means, use it. I don’t have one and just use my trusty non-stick skillet. It works fine.
More simple recipes with broccoli:
I have to say broccoli is my favorite vegetable, and I have quite a few recipes on my blog, which feature broccoli.
Here are a few that I think you will like: Creamy Homemade White Bean Soup with Broccoli, Broccoli Cauliflower Salad with Cranberries, Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread Muffins, Easy Mushroom, and Broccoli Frittata, and Potato Broccoli Salad with Vinaigrette.
If you are interested in even more broccoli recipes, check out all of my side dish recipes here.
More simple chicken recipes:
If you like quick and easy chicken recipes, you might also want to check out my Skillet Mediterranean Chicken Bake, Easy Chicken Parmesan, Best Southern Fried Chicken, Lemon Chicken, Sweet, and Sour Chicken and Tropical Chicken Curry. For even more simple chicken entrées, check out all of my chicken recipes here!
★ If you make Stir Fry Broccoli and Chicken, please leave a comment and give this recipe a star rating. I would love to know how you liked it! Thanks so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones!
Stir-Fry Broccoli and Chicken with Stir-Fry Sauce and Marinade Recipe
- 2 skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 inch piece ginger peeled, finely minced or grated using a zester
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1-1/4 tsp kosher salt divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 5-6 cups broccoli florets about 3 stalks
- 4 oz water chestnuts sliced and drained
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup cashews Optional garnish
- Add cubed chicken, scallions, garlic, ginger, low sodium soy sauce, sugar, 1 tsp cornstarch, 1 tsp salt, sherry, and sesame oil to a medium-size bowl or gallon-size plastic bag. Make sure the chicken is covered with the marinade and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, or longer covered in the refrigerator.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or wok over high heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil. When the pan is hot, add the broccoli, 2 Tbsp water and 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper. Stir-fry until the broccoli is bright green but still crisp. This should take approximately 2 minutes. Transfer the broccoli to a bowl and set aside.
- Make sure your skillet is still hot and then heat 2 more Tbsp of olive oil. Add chicken, marinade mixture, and chili flakes. Let chicken brown. Stir frequently. This takes approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add hoisin sauce and sliced water chestnuts to the chicken. Add the broccoli and mix well. Mix 1/2 cup of water with 1 Tbsp of cornstarch and pour into the skillet. Bring to a boil to thicken. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water. Taste, then season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve hot. Optional, garnish with cashews and serve over rice or pasta if desired.