It’s January and as in past years, the number one New Year’s resolution for most of us is to lose weight. So with that in mind, I bring you my healthy, low-calorie Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup!
This delicious and nutritious soup comes in at only 349 calories and whether you eat it for lunch or dinner, it would be a great way to start your January weight loss journey. Also for those of you that are vegetarian, you could simply substitute vegetable stock for chicken stock, leave out the chicken and this soup will still be really delicious and filling.
Actually, after all of the excesses of the holiday season, it feels good to dial things back a bit and sit down with a yummy bowl of steaming soup. There are not many things more comforting than savoring a bowl of tasty hot soup on a raw winter day. Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup is comfort food at its finest, and it couldn’t be easier to make! Of course most of the time in North Florida even though it’s January our temperatures are pretty mild, so we don’t quite get the full effect, but nevertheless, it’s still delicious!
You might have noticed that the photos of my Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup are missing the tortillas? In my haste to get dinner on the table last night and photos of the soup, I completely forgot about the crispy tortilla strips. Diet-wise this was probably a good thing, but they do add a nice crunchy component. So don’t do what I did and forget them!
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup has a fairly long ingredient list, but don’t let that deter you. You just put everything in your Crockpot, turn it on and forget it for about 6 hours and voila you have a mouth-watering and healthy soup ready to eat! The ingredients are: chicken breast or thighs, frozen corn, onion, garlic, low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock, canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and green chilies, ground cumin, kosher salt, chili powder, ground red pepper, ground black pepper, and corn tortilla (you could also substitute tortilla chips).
When you are ready to make Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup combine everything but the corn tortillas in a 4-quart Crockpot or slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
Before you are ready to serve the soup, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch wide strips and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes. Turn over and bake for 5 more minutes or until they are crispy. Sprinkle on the soup and serve immediately.
Easy Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 8 ounces raw skinless boneless chicken breast or thighs cut into cubes
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2-14.5 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1-10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies with juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 small corn tortillas
- Combine everything but the corn tortillas in a 4-quart Crockpot or slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
- Before you are ready to serve the soup, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch wide strips and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes. Turn over and bake for 5 more minutes or until they are crispy. Sprinkle on the soup and serve immediately.