I’m ushering in fall with cozy, comfort food at its finest, Slow Cooker Mediterranean Beef Roast. This easy recipe uses a slow cooker to do all of the work and combines fresh and flavorful parsley, garlic, and lemon zest with Calamata olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and melt-in-your-mouth tender roast beef to create a rich, hearty, flavorful entree.
This recipe was inspired by a delicious Mediterranean Beef Roast with Pasta dish my friend Martha made a few weeks ago, and I couldn’t wait to try my hand at it. As you probably can tell, I love Mediterranean flavors, and especially anything that contains olives of any kind, garlic, lemon zest, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Martha served the delicious, tender beef over pasta, and it was fabulous. I changed things up a bit and served it over egg noodles, and it was equally as good. But, you could also serve it over mashed potatoes, couscous, polenta, or even cheese grits. Just think about it, Mediterranean meets Southern, it would be a match made in heaven! This recipe is very versatile, and you could also substitute a pork loin roast or Boston butt for the beef roast, and I think that would be delicious too!
My favorite beef roast and the cut of meat I used in this recipe is the chuck roast. It has wonderful marbling throughout the meat, which gives it a delicious flavor, and when cooked low and slow, it winds up being so tender you can cut it with a fork.
Like my Crockpot Pork Chops and Apples, the best part about this recipe besides the taste is you can throw everything in your slow cooker in the morning before you go to work and when you get home, not only will your house smell divine, you will have a delicious, hearty meal ready to serve your family. It’s a cooking lollapalooza!
If you like the convenience of using a slow cooker, you might also be interested in these recipes: Easy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Tacos, Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli Pasta, and Easy Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup.
The ingredients for Slow Cooker Mediterranean Beef Roast include a chuck roast, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, herbs de Provence or other similar dried herbs, balsamic vinegar, beef stock, Calamata olives, lemon zest, and fresh parsley. You will also need egg noodles, pasta, polenta, mashed potatoes, or cheese grits to serve along with it.
How to Make Slow-Cooker Mediterranean Beef Roast
Place garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and roast in a slow cooker; sprinkle the roast with herbs, and add vinegar and beef stock. Cover and cook for 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low or until the roast is tender and shreds easily with two forks.
While the roast cooks, combine the parsley, Calamata olives, and lemon zest in a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
When the roast is done, remove it from the slow cooker, discard any fat, and shred the beef into bite-size pieces. Pour the pan juices into a fat separator or bowl. Allow the fat to rise to the top and discard it. Put the beef and remaining pan juice back into the slow cooker and keep warm until ready to serve.
Serve the beef over egg noodles, pasta, mashed potatoes or cheese grits. Spoon on some of the pan juices and garnish with the olive, parsley, and lemon zest mixture.
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Beef Roast Recipe
- 2-3 lb boneless chuck roast
- 10 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoon Herbs de Provence may substitute any or all of these dried herbs: thyme, marjoram, and/or rosemary
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup beef stock
- ¼ cup Calamata olives coarsely chopped*
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Place garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and roast in slow cooker; sprinkle the roast with herbs, and add vinegar, and beef stock. Cover and cook 4-6 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low or until the roast is tender and shreds easily with two forks.
- While the roast cooks, combine the parsley, olives and lemon zest in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When the roast is done, remove it from the slow cooker, discard any fat and shred beef into bite-size pieces. Pour the pan juices into a fat separator or bowl. Allow the fat to rise to the top and discard. Put the beef and remaining pan juice back into the slow cooker and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve the beef over egg noodles, pasta, mashed potatoes or cheese grits. Spoon on some of the pan juices and garnish with the olive, parsley and lemon zest mixture.