Easy Southern Corn Salad is a delicious staple in the South, especially in the spring and summer when fresh corn is readily available at the farmer’s markets.
This easy salad only takes minutes to make and, because it’s made without mayonnaise, it’s fresh, light, and healthy. Coming in at only 155 calories per serving, this yummy salad is also full of vitamins and minerals.
Why you will love this recipe:
- It’s quick and easy to make.
- Both big and little kids will love it, and it is perfect for taking to a potluck dinner or a great dish to serve at a backyard barbecue or picnic.
- It’s even better the next day as leftovers. I have had it for lunch for the last two days and enjoyed every last bite!
I’ll bet you didn’t know besides being a delicious side dish; the term “corn salad” also refers to a wild weedy plant that Thomas Jefferson once cultivated at his home in the early 1800s. But today’s post is all about the classic corn salad we eat, and I can’t wait to show you how quick and easy it is to make.
Red onions, yes or no:
My guess is there are a few of you out there that are not a fan of red onions, but don’t let them scare you off or prevent you from making this delicious salad.
I usually much prefer the sweeter milder taste of sweet onions like Vidalia onions, but the red onions work in this salad, and I’ll bet if you just give them a chance, you will be happy you did.
Only seven ingredients:
All you need is fresh corn, cider vinegar, red onion, olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper, and fresh basil.
Here’s how to make it:
Gather your ingredients and cut the bottom off of the unshucked ears of corn. Place two ears in the microwave.
Cook on high for three minutes. Let the corn cool and, using a potholder or dish towel, squeeze at the top. The husk and silk will slip off. Set aside and repeat with the other ears of corn.
Use a sharp knife, slice the kernels off the cob, cutting close to but not through the cob.
Combine the cider vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper in a medium-size bowl. Mix well. Add the onion and corn kernels and toss to combine.
Just before serving, add the basil and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Leftovers keep well covered in the refrigerator for several days and are even better the next day.
To cook the corn on the stove instead of the microwave, place the shucked corn into a large pot of boiling water over high heat. Cover the pot and turn the heat down to medium. Cook for 4-6 minutes. Drain.
More corn recipes:
If you like corn, you might also want to try these delicious and popular corn recipes: Easy Spicy Southern Corn Casserole, Easy Cheesy Hot Corn Dip, Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad, Fried Corn, and Southern Homemade Creamed Corn.
More Southern-style recipes:
I have no shortage of Southern-style recipes on my blog. If you are looking for more recipes or menu ideas, you might also want to check out my Southern Potato Salad, Southern Field Peas, Fried Green Tomatoes, Squash Casserole, Green Tomato Pie, and Zipper Peas.
Just in case you need more inspiration, you can find all of my Southern-style recipes here.
★ If you liked this recipe, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. I’d love to know how you liked it!
Thank you so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones. I hope you’ll come back soon!
Easy Southern Corn Salad Recipe
- 5 ears fresh corn
- 1 small red onion minced
- 3 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil chopped
- Slice the bottom off of the unshucked ears of corn and place them in the microwave, two at a time.
- Cook on high for three minutes. Let the corn cool slightly and, using a potholder or dish towel, squeeze at the top. The husk and silk will slip off. Set aside and repeat with the other ears of corn.
- When the corn is cool, cut the kernels off the cob, cutting close to the cob.
- Combine the cider vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper in a medium-size bowl. Mix well. Add the onion and corn kernels and toss to combine.
- Just before serving, add the basil and stir to combine. Serve immediately.