Spicy, southern-style, Corn Casserole is a fiesta for the senses with luscious sweet corn deliciousness, spicy chilies, jalapenos, bacon, and decadent cream cheese filling that brings it all together.
This easy corn casserole is perfect for a holiday dinner, a quick weeknight dinner with your family, or a special dinner with guests. Because it’s scalable is also a great dish to take to a pot-luck dinner!
What you will love about this recipe:
- This recipe is extremely versatile, and you can use any type of corn you have on hand. I usually try to use fresh sweet corn when it’s in season, but you can also substitute frozen or even canned.
- It has just the right amount of heat; jalapenos and chilies make it a little spicy, but the cream cheese filling cools things down a bit. If you are worried about the heat, only add half of the jalapenos, and chilies, or leave them out altogether.
- It’s quick and easy to make and only has seven ingredients.
What’s the difference in corn casserole and corn pudding?
Over the years, the lines have blurred on the definitions of each. In general, corn casseroles are creamier and often include cream cheese as an ingredient. Recipes for corn pudding, on the other hand, often include cornmeal or a package of Jiffy Cornbread mix and cheese.
If you are interested, here is a link to my Easy Cheesy Corn Pudding recipe. Both sides are delicious, and both can be served any time of year, but corn for Thanksgiving is a must.
Here’s what you will need:
Besides sweet corn, the only other ingredients are cream cheese, milk, canned chilies, butter, bacon, and jalapeno peppers.
How to make it:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the milk, butter, and cream cheese in a small saucepan over low heat. Constantly stir until the butter and cream cheese has melted, and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
Add the green chilies, jalapeno, and corn to the cream cheese mixture and stir to combine.
Spray a small 8-inch square or round casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray or grease it with butter. Add the mixture.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly around the edges. Top with crumbled bacon and serve immediately.
To make it ahead:
Make this casserole up to 24 hours in advance. Mix it up, place it in the baking dish, and cover it tightly.
When you are ready to bake it, remove it from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you put it in the oven to allow it to come to room temperature—Bake as directed and top with crumbled bacon.
Need to feed more folks?
To feed twelve folks, double the ingredients and bake it in a 9×13 pan. It may take a few more minutes to cook.
Leftovers can be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to four days. I do not recommend freezing either the unbaked casserole or leftovers.
More corn recipes:
If you are a corn lover like me, you might also like these recipes: Southern Shrimp and Corn Fritters, Southern Corn Salad, Southern Creamed Corn, Fresh Corn and Blue Crab Bisque, Southern Succotash with White Acre Peas, Fried Sweet Corn and Corn Tomato and Avocado Salad.
If you need some more side dish ideas, here is a link to all of my side dish recipes.
★ If you liked this recipe, please consider rating it and leaving a comment. I’d love to know how you liked it!
Thank you so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones. I hope you’ll come back soon!
Spicy Sweet Corn Casserole Recipe With Cream Cheese
- 4 cups fresh sweet corn kernels or about 5 ears of fresh corn
- 8 ounces pkg cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 ounces diced green chilies can, undrained
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced, with the seeds and ribs removed
- 2 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the milk, butter, and cream cheese in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly until the butter, and cream cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add the green chilies, jalapeno, and corn to the cream cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- Spray a small casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray or grease it with butter. Add the mixture.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly around the edges. Top with crumbled bacon and serve immediately.