Summer is here and when it’s this hot, I am always looking for something light and refreshing to make, and this luscious and healthy Southern Watermelon Tomato Salad checks all of the boxes.
Delightfully quick and easy Southern Watermelon Tomato Salad is full of summer’s bounty with fresh juicy sweet watermelon, ripe summer tomatoes, tangy feta cheese, and slivered almonds.
And, this watermelon salad is ideal for your summer cookouts, supper clubs, potlucks, weeknight meals, brunches, or lunches. It’s the quintessential summer side salad and is perfect for any occasion.
I make this summer fruit salad all the time and whenever I bring it to a potluck everyone asks for the recipe, now I can’t wait to share it with you! My hope is you will try this easy Southern Watermelon Tomato Salad soon, and that you will love it as much as we do!
How many calories in watermelon?
Watermelon is nutritious and loaded with fiber, and a two-cup serving only has 85 calories.
This summer-in-a-bowl watermelon salad has only 250 calories per serving, which includes the dressing and it supplies over half of your daily vitamin C requirement.
How to make Southern Watermelon Tomato Salad
The ingredients are simple: fresh ripe watermelon and tomatoes (heirloom if you can find them in different colors, or you can also use cherry tomatoes) baby arugula or other salad greens, feta cheese, toasted slivered almonds, fresh basil, kosher salt, extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. That’s it!
How to toast almonds
Toasting the almonds adds flavor and crunch to this salad. To toast, simply put them in a small dry sauté pan over medium heat. Cook for about 4-5 minutes stirring frequently to make sure they don’t burn.
The almonds are toasted when you start seeing some of the slivers develop a light brown color.
Combine the watermelon and tomatoes in a large strainer over a bowl and add 1-2 tsp(s) of kosher salt or fleur de sel. Mix carefully and let stand and drain at least 15 minutes or up to 1-2 hours until you are ready to serve the salad.
To make the dressing, mix the olive oil and vinegar in a small bowl or mason jar and whisk or shake well.
When you are ready to serve the salad, first put the arugula in a large shallow bowl or on a platter.
Place the watermelon and tomato mixture in a large bowl or large plastic bag and add the dressing. Mix well but carefully. Then spoon this mixture on top of the arugula.
Sprinkle with the feta cheese, slivered almonds, and chopped basil. Serve immediately and enjoy!
(This recipe was originally published June 13, 2016. I have updated the photos and am republishing it today. There are no changes to the original recipe.)
If you make this recipe, please be sure to rate it and leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!
And finally, to be the first to receive notifications of new posts by email enter your email address here or in the Subscribe box.
Thank you so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones!
Southern Watermelon Tomato Salad
- 8 cups seedless watermelon about 6 lbs, or 3/4 of a small seedless watermelon, cut in 1-1/4 chunks
- 3 lbs ripe tomatoes cut in about the same size chunks as the watermelon, preferably heirloom if you can find them in assorted colors
- 1 package baby arugula leaves 5 oz package, or other salad greens
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 cup cup crumbled feta cheese about 4-5 ounces
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tsp kosher salt or fleur de sel
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds **
- Combine the watermelon and tomatoes in a large strainer over a bowl and add 1-2 tsp(s) of kosher salt or fleur de sel. Mix carefully and let stand and drain at least 15 minutes or up to 1-2 hours until you are ready to serve the salad.
- To make the dressing, mix the olive oil and vinegar together in a small bowl or mason jar and whisk or shake well.
- When you are ready to serve the salad, first put the arugula in a large shallow bowl.
- Put the watermelon and tomato mixture in a large bowl or large plastic bag and add the dressing. Mix well but carefully. Then spoon this mixture on top of the arugula.
- Sprinkle with the feta cheese slivered almonds and chopped basil. Serve immediately and enjoy!